Saturday, March 27, 2010

Review of NY Times article

I read an article about the future “At Ground Zero” museum scheduled to open in 2012. I have never been to New York thus, have never been to ground zero but I heard that it is a very impactful and emotional place. When I first started this class I wondered if they had a 9/11 museum or if the people of New York were going to try to create one. Even just reading the article was very impactful. At the museum they are going to have recordings from survivors remembering the attacks on the World Trade Centers on September 11, 2001. The museum is also going to have artifacts from victims such as a red jacket owned by Karen Hawley Juday. Many of the artifacts were donated by the victims’ families. The museum is going to have about 400 oral stories and a sound booth where visitors can record their own thoughts and stories. The museum also contains a time line of September 11, 2001. I believe this museum will have a very large impact, especially as newer generations grow up and begin to ask questions about September 11. This was a very traumatic event in American history and there is no doubt in my mind that it will be in textbooks and classrooms across the nation for my children to learn later in life. This article brought out the power that this museum is going to have and certain encouraged me to go visit it someday. I really enjoy the thought of a hands on experience of recording your own memories for others to hear. I think that creates a sense of connection within our country and also people who come from outside the United States as well. If done correctly, this is going to be an amazing and powerful museum for many generations to come. The idea of this museum lets the voices of the survivors and victims be heard so that current and future generations can understand what happened on September 11, 2001.

No comments:

Post a Comment