Tuesday, March 2, 2010

architecture and museums

When going into a museum sometimes we have a pre conceived notion of what we will actually see by what’s on the outside. We judge everything by its outside. We judge people initially on how they look or what clothes they wear. We judge magazines by what’s shown on the cover and we decide what movies to see by the preview. I think of the architecture of a museum as a preview. If the architecture is old and boring (like the museums my parents took me to as a young child) people may think that they will not have any fun at a museum like this. However, it can be really interesting to compare for the architecture to the objects inside the museum. Architecture has played an important role in the way that I view museum. I love the shape and the look of the Experienced Music Project in Seattle. It draws people into it just by the feel and the look of the architecture outside of it. Even people who may not know what the museum is, they may be drawn to it by what it looks like on the outside. I was drawn into the museum and I was in awe from the time that I entered it. Architecture can determine your experience because if you go in to a museum in a bad mood not wanting to be there because the architecture turns you off from it, you probably won’t get anything out of the experience. However if the architecture draws you in and makes you want to go to a museum, you are going to get a lot more out of your visit.

1 comment:

  1. Before reading this article I didn't think about how architecture really influenced the way that we view museums. Thinking more about it made me realize how much I take into consideration the appearance of a museum and how it can persuade or dissuade me from going inside. I really like that you took this argument a step further and connected it to the way that we are socialized to have opinions about magazines, movies and people just based off of what we see on the outside. I think that if we took this idea into consideration when looking at museums as well as interacting with the world around us we can make sure that we aren't influenced by what we see on the outside. If I'm influenced by the architecture of museums in a negative way I could be missing out on a great exhibit or collection, or be less impressed because I have a negative attitude going into it.

    ReplyDelete